Are You In Love With This Present World?
Although you live in this world, Jesus Christ does not want you to be in love with this world. For, whenever an individual falls in love with this world, he/she cannot love Christ in a way that is acceptable to Him. Loving Jesus Christ necessarily involves keeping His commandments (John 14:15). So, 1 John 2:15-17 clearly teaches, “Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. For all that is in the world – the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life – is not of the Father but is of the world. And the world is passing away, and the lust of it; but he who does the will of God abides forever.”
An example of a man who was in love with this present world can be found in 2 Timothy 4:10. Paul said, “for Demas has forsaken me, having loved this present world, and has departed for Thessalonica.” Evidently, this man’s love for the world caused him to turn away from working with Paul in Christ’s service. But, can the same be said about you? Although I doubt that many Christians would want to admit being in love with this present world and forsaking Christ, let’s honestly evaluate whether you are in love with this present world.
1) Yes, if you love your job more than you love Christ. Do you give your job preference over the things God wants you to do? Do you long for advancement in your career field more than you long to live for Christ? If you had to pick today, would you choose to leave your job or leave Christ?
2) Yes, if you love your possessions more than you love Christ. Do you spend more time enjoying the things that you possess than you do trying to serve Christ? Do you long for greater possessions more than you long for Christ? If you had to pick today, would you choose to leave all your physical possessions or leave Christ?
3) Yes, if you love your wealth more than you love Christ. Do you spend more time being concerned about losing your money or losing your relationship with Christ? Do you spend more time thinking about growing your bank account or growing your relationship with Christ? If you had to pick today, would you choose to leave all your wealth or leave Christ?
4) Yes, if you love earthly pleasures more than you love Christ. Do you pursue your own earthly ambitions and desires more than you pursue doing the will of God? How often do you deny yourself of some earthly pleasure in order to do what Christ desires you to do? If you had to pick today, would you choose to deny yourself of every earthly pleasure or deny Christ?
5) Yes, if you love your earthly family more than you love Christ. Are you more interested in spending time with your earthly family or spending time in the service of Christ? Do you desire a closer relationship with your earthly family or with Jesus Christ? If you had to pick today, would you choose to leave your earthly family or leave Christ?
6) Yes, if you love your life more than you love Christ. Are you only willing to make a partial commitment in giving your life to Jesus Christ? Is there anything about your life on this earth that you would rather do, have, or experience more than you want to do God’s commandments, have peace in Jesus Christ, and experience everlasting life in Heaven? If you had to pick today, would you choose to die for Christ or deny Christ?
Are you in love with this present world? Of course, there are many things involved in this world that are appropriate to be involved in. And, you should enjoy the things and relationships God has blessed you with. But, you must never allow them to leave their proper places to the point that you love any of them more than you love Jesus Christ (see Luke 14:25-33)!